While traditional food banks collect financial statements and personal information to determine the exact need of patrons and distribute predetermined packages of food, the AMS Food Bank tries to maintain an honour system of “take what you need, and only what you need” such that students can maintain their agency and freedom of choice when shopping at the AMS Food Bank. However, we operate on a relatively small budget and try to best serve the needs of all the students that access this service. Though we recognize that some patrons may be responsible for feeding more than just themselves (i.e. dependents), the AMS Food Bank mandates to primarily serve students. Unfortunately, our limited resources do not allow us the capacity to do otherwise, but we are happy to refer you to additional community resources!
We ask that every patron follows the following set of rules and expectations:
- Please take only enough food for yourself and until the next time we are open. We are open every Monday, Thursday, and Saturday 5-6PM.
- Please adhere to the following upper limits (max.) on certain food items:
- 1 bag of milk per person
- 1 bag of special fruit items (i.e. anything we sort by a Ziploc bag)
- 1 carton of 4 eggs
- 1 item of any one type of hygiene item
- 2 items of meat
- Request items are primarily for foods that you may require due to dietary restrictions (i.e. gluten-free items if you are gluten-intolerant, meat-less protein items, etc.) They are not for requesting larger quantities of food items we already purchase or requesting brands or items you prefer.
- Request items are never guaranteed
- If there is only two left of any item, do not take both.
Upon notice that a patron has failed to abide by these rules and expectations, our management will communicate that this behavior cannot continue. If the failure to comply continues after said warning, we will require that you discontinue your use of the service.
We thank you in advance for your cooperation!